Matrix247 are delighted to be a proud company patron of the UK’s inspiring leading marine charity for protecting our sea’s, shores and wildlife.
At Matrix247 we are very passionate about the environment and being eco-friendly. With some of the team being qualified scuba divers, saving our seas is close to our hearts. After raising over £100,000 for several youth zones and cancer charities throughout the North West, in the new decade we are going to do everything we can to help save our planet.
Whilst doing research, we came across many heart-breaking facts about our oceans and wildlife such as:
- Without a global response, there could be more plastic in the sea than fish by 2050
- An estimated 300 billion pieces of plastic are floating in the Arctic Ocean. Plastics are some of the most long-lasting materials in existence
- It is estimated that one rubbish truck load of plastics enters the ocean every minute
These plastic items start life on land and make their way into the ocean through improper collection and recycling. Seabirds are also being affected, found dead with stomachs jammed full of items like bottle caps, printer ink cartridges, and golf balls. They can no longer eat because their stomachs are already full.
Microplastics are also a major concern. Items entering the sea as plastic bags, fishing nets and other waste packaging products are broken down by the sun and in turn become tiny plastic particles, known as microplastics. They are too small to fish out of the ocean and these microplastics are then ingested by plankton, those organisms which are right at the bottom of the food chain. As larger fish and marine animals eat the plankton, they are also eating the plastic. When humans eat fish, they too eat the plastic.
So what can we do to help?
Matrix247 are introducing a zero-plastic tolerance to their office in Lancashire. By providing staff with reusable water bottles, bamboo lunch boxes, recycled note-books, bamboo toothbrushes and cotton bags we are making a big step in the right direction to stop plastic entering the building. These ‘goody bags’ will also be extended to new clients when they on-board with us. Matrix247 will be contacting all suppliers to explain they now have a zero-tolerance to none recycled plastics and for suppliers to confirm that all packaging used to send deliveries are in recycled materials.
We’re also existed to announce: WITH EVERY NEW ORDER WE WILL NOW BE SPONSORING A TURTLE ON YOUR BEHALF.
7 Top Tips how YOU can reduce plastic in your workplace:
- Provide unlimited filtered tap water
- Have reusable dishes and cutlery in the kitchen
- Encourage eco-habits, gift reusables to your teams (e.g. lunchboxes, water bottles)
- Request that suppliers use less packaging
- Bring your own lunch to work. Avoid sad sandwiches wrapped in plastic-covered cardboard. Just make an extra portion when making your evening meal the previous night and bring that in with you. This might even save a few pounds.
- Bring a reusable coffee cup with you. The UK gets through 2.5 billion coffee cups a year, the vast majority of which aren’t recyclable.
- Remove all rubbish bins from desk areas and provide centralised recycling points
(Statistics from https://www.mcsuk.org/)